Published 20 May 2020
7 Simple Ways to Create a 'Sleepy' Bedroom Environment
With so much stress and uncertainty within society at the moment, it's no wonder most of us struggle to get a good night's sleep. Waking in the small hours or finding it hard to drift off to sleep last thing at night, all the tossing and turning certainly isn't good for our bodies or mental well-being.
In order to help you get a restful night's sleep, we have called on our friends at Suna Interior Designs to give us some tips on how to create the perfect 'sleepy' environments in your bedroom, to send you off to the land of nod within seconds.
Here are 7 great ways to create a relaxing setting in your bedroom:
1. Natural Materials - Using natural, soft materials for your bedding and bedroom furniture are the perfect way to create a cosy feel and instantly make you feel calm.
2. Limit your colour palette - Decorate your room with relaxing pastels and hues that don't fight for your attention. Limit your use of patterns to one or two styles in order not to overwhelm your mind just before bed. Using warm neutrals, light greys and 'earthy' colour tones provide a peaceful ambience to your bedroom.
3. Dare to go dark - Black out curtains are essential for creating an uninterrupted darkness through out your bedroom. The perfect addition to help even the lightest of sleepers drift off.
4. The layering effect - Experiment with chunky duvets, knitted throws or fur rugs to add some texture to your bedroom. Create areas that make you want to 'snuggle up' in with some hot chocolate just before bed.
5. Mood lighting - Create the perfect sleepy mood within your bedroom using candles, lamps or the subtle twinkle of fairy lights. You can try out the dim flicker of artificial candles, some of them come with a timer so that you can set them to turn off at a certain time each night. Whichever mood lighting you opt for, you can be sure to create that sleepy atmosphere you desire.
6. Bring the outside in - Houseplants! Especially the top 10 air purifying houseplants recommended by Nasa. The Snake Plant and Aloe Vera in particular are good for your bedroom, as they release oxygen at night time, making them amazing for having around your room whilst you’re sleeping.
7. Away with the clouds - Nothing makes you sleepier than watching clouds in the sky. Why not try to create this mood within your bedroom by experimenting with cloud effect wall paper? The perfect way to help you doze off as soon as your head hits the pillow.
Now that you're equipped with all the tips to create the perfect bedroom to encourage a good night's sleep, why not read some other great tips on how to De-clutter and De-Stress your home.
The River Gardens is a brand new development of 1 & 3 Shared Ownership bedroom apartments situated along the River Thames. Boasting parking and outside space for all homes, these high-specification properties are a short bus ride away from North Greenwich and Cutty Sark stations. Both serve fantastic access into Canary Wharf and The City – perfect for commuters.DISCOVER GREENWICH
Stonelea Gardens is a stylish new collection of modern homes, set in vibrant Leyton, East London. All apartments have private outdoor space, whilst the houses feature gardens, with some offering rooftop patios and larger properties benefitting from on-site parking.Read More
Greenway at Beckton Parkside is a brand new development offering 1, 2 and 3 bedroom Shared Ownership apartments for sale. With Royal Albert zone 3 DLR station one mile away, affording transit into Poplar for Canary Wharf in 11 minutes, and Bank in 26 minutes, it’s an ideal location for commuters.DISCOVER BECKTON
Colindale Gardens is a desirable development in North West London, offering 1 and 2 bedroom Shared Ownership apartments for sale. With northern line connections from nearby Colindale underground station affording a commute into central London in under 30 minutes.DISCOVER COLINDALE
A stunning collection of 1, 2 & 3 bedroom Shared Ownership apartments set in Finsbury Park. Patchworks offer a striking specification, private outdoor space and third floor communal terrace with views of The City.DISCOVER ISLINGTON