Published 18 Apr 2017
Buy a bigger Shared Ownership home with Second Steps
Need somewhere bigger but thought you could never afford it? You could with Second Steps!
Peabody are teaming up with Southern Home Ownership to bring you Second Steps, an exciting opportunity for existing shared owners in London.
If you need to move, but are unable to afford a home outright, the Second Steps scheme allows you to buy a London property, of two bedrooms or more, that is currently listed on the open market through Shared Ownership.
Peabody and Southern Home Ownership will support you through the purchase and sale of your existing home.
To register your interest, visit the second steps website.
To be eligible, you must:
- be an existing shared owner living in your property
- live in one of the 32 London boroughs
- have a gross household income below £90,000
- not have any rent, service charge, or mortgage arrears
- be unable to afford to buy a suitable next home that meets your needs
- be at least 18 years old
Further eligibility criteria will apply, and applications will be assessed based on individual circumstances.
What type of home can I buy with Second Steps?
When you apply, you will need to complete a basic financial assessment. You will be provided with an estimated maximum purchase price for your new home to allow you to decide if this enables you to buy a home to suit your needs.
The type of home you can buy must:
- have 2 or more bedrooms
- have an unexpired lease term of at least 125 years (if leasehold)
- be a residential property with no commercial use
- be acceptable for mortgage purposes
- be purchased with vacant possession
- be a traditional construction (not a caravan or houseboat)
- have a structurally sound roof
- be located in one of the 32 London boroughs
Further exclusions apply and will be made available on application. You will need to buy a share in your new home between 30% and 75%. You will always need to buy the highest share you can afford.